Because of Your Tickets — A Story From General Conference


"Tell me about yourself."

That's the question posed to me over the weekend while I stood on the corner outside the LDS Conference Center hoping to get tickets to the General Priesthood session Saturday evening. 

Caught off guard by the question and while trying to come up with a worthy answer, I said something like, "Uh... I live here and want to go to conference." Really eloquent, right? 
Despite my less-than-impressive response, he gave me and my friend tickets for two great seats and we quickly hurried into the Conference Center. 

The session was great and it was neat to sit so close to the brethren and feel the spirit radiating from them.

However, after the session, I was still bothered by my response to the man's simple question. If I could meet that man again, here's what I would hope to say to him.


Thank you... so much. Sometimes I feel like the average Joe-Utah-Mormon. There's nothing that is really special about me. Guys like me are a dime a dozen. But the gift of your tickets told me, in a small way, that the Lord knows me personally and individually and that He cares. 

Because of your tickets, as Pres. Monson entered the room I felt the spirit bear a powerful witness that he is God's prophet on the earth today. A moment I won't forget and will tell my children about. 

Because of your tickets I was able to see the love and brotherhood among the Twelve firsthand. Elder Oaks leaned over gave a loving and encouraging squeeze of the hand and leg pat to Pres. Nelson, as if he knew Pres. Nelson was about to share an emotional and lifelong story of forgiveness and love.

Because for your tickets as Bro. Owen spoke I reminisced of my first-time experiences with the priesthood and said a thankful prayer for blessing me with great leaders and good quorum members while growing up. 

Because of your tickets, I had a good laugh at Pres. Uchtdorf's Chewbacca joke. I also laughed seeing the boy a few rows in front of me light up the mention of Star Wars in Conference. 

Because of your tickets I got to hear the choir sing one of my dad's favorite hymns--one that was sung at his funeral six years ago, "Redeemer of Israel." Attending the priesthood session hasn't been easy for me emotionally since he passed away, but being present for that hymn was a definite blessing and tender mercy. 

To better answer your question, here's who I am. 

I am a son of God. He knows me and doesn't forget me. I am a husband to a woman that is my perfect match. I'm also a father to three great kids and being a dad is the best thing I have ever experienced. I went to priesthood with my best friend of more than 28 years, and we aren't even 30 yet. 

I am nervous about some things, confident about a lot of things, and unsure about many things, especially the future.—Like, how am I suppose to raise good kids with a testimony in this crazy world?—However, of this I am certain: I am a believer. I believe that things will work out if we have faith in Him and His plan for us. Thank you for reminding me about that. All because of your tickets. 



Andrew Devey is currently a marketing and social media manager at StreamPage. He graduated from BYU with a degree in communications with an emphasis in public relations. He is also a sports junkie and dessert connoisseur. He is part Texan by marriage, but still longs for Big Sky Country, where he served his mission. He is married to Lisa, and what he loves most is being the father to his son and twin girls.