Great Blessings from Crossing the Finish Line




It is hard to believe that it has been nearly thirteen years since the prophet Gordon B. Hinckley gave his “Book of Mormon Challenge.” In August, 2005, he stated, “I offer a challenge to members of the Church throughout the world and to our friends everywhere to read or reread the Book of Mormon…before the end of this year.”

He continued, with a promise to all those who followed, “There will come into your lives and into your homes an added measure of the Spirit of the Lord, a strengthened resolution to walk in obedience to His commandments, and a stronger testimony of the living reality of the Son of God.” (President Gordon B. Hinckley, “A Testimony Vibrant and True,” Liahona and Ensign, Aug. 2005, 6.)

I quickly decided that this goal was something I could do. Like most members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints probably found, August was easy. Then, I got behind with life and let procrastination get in the way of my daily goal. I tried to catch up, but the growing number of pages to read daily seemed insurmountable. As December came to an end, I probably could have accomplished the task. However, spending hours upon hours of speed-reading the Book of Mormon in the last few days of the year, just to claim completion, seemed insincere. I’m sad to say that I did not finish the challenge.

Soon, letters and testimonies poured in describing many of the ways this challenge blessed the lives of people all over the world. I began to think on what blessings my family had missed because I didn’t truly follow the prophet. We probably did not experience chastisement for not completing the entire book, but who knows how many extra blessings or miracles we did not see? Perhaps crossing the finish line in the last few days, even if it felt insincere, would have been better than quitting the race.

Since then, I’ve promised myself that when specifically challenged to complete a gospel task, I would do it. I did not want to feel that regret from giving up blessings by not doing simple things again.

Here are a few examples of challenges I was able to meet over the years, as well as some specific blessings.

While serving as a Young Women leader, I was encouraged to complete the Personal Progress program along with the youth. Even when I was diagnosed with breast cancer during this time, I pressed forward to complete this challenge. I was strengthened during my battle with cancer and was able to reach remission. The extra blessings my family received during that time are too great to count.



In addition, the challenge of genealogy and temple attendance has been long-standing. I have experienced ups and downs along the path. Recently, I became more committed and worked with my mom to have family names to bring to the temple. Then, our beautiful Houston temple was flooded by Hurricane Harvey and closed for about seven months. Just as I was ready to reach a genealogy goal, the path became more difficult.

When the temple was rededicated, our local leaders challenged us to “flood the temple,” by attending often and bringing family names with us. This was a test for which I had prepared. I was not, however, prepared for the immediate blessings which followed. As I completed ordinances for a specific family member, one I actually knew in this life, I was filled with the spirit. Beyond my individual endowment and sealing, never before had a temple experience been so meaningful and powerful. It had been ten years since I was baptized in this family member’s name. The guilt of the time it took to complete her work was consumed by love and gratitude that families truly are eternal. My tears of joy in helping to bring a soul to God was just a part of the blessings for being willing to follow this challenge.

Finally, at the beginning of this year, local leaders challenged us to read the Book of Mormon by May. Here was my chance to make up for my decade-old failure. This time, the challenge included an added task, as my entire family (six-years old to forty) all participated. What could have seemed insurmountable became a great blessing, one that we finished ahead of time.

Again, it is difficult to name all the ways we benefited from our obedience, but I know the Spirit of the Lord was felt in our home and that our testimonies were strengthened, especially with the baptism of our middle child falling near the end of the challenge.

I also know that specific miracles occurred. Just to name one, shortly after beginning the challenge, a routine scan revealed spots which indicated that cancer threatened to return in my brain. Follow-up scans showed no-change and then near-disappearance of the spots by the beginning of summer, as my family had completed our reading. My medical team, several who truly believed I was up for another cancer battle, were shocked. One doctor expressed that the result of my latest scans could only be explained as a “God thing.” Faith, hope, miracles, and being given opportunities to bring others to God—I’d say the blessings we received greatly outnumbered the work we put in by crossing the finish line this time.

I know that my Father in Heaven pours out blessings, so many that I’m sure some might go unnoticed or become commonplace. However, when we obey specific challenges or commandments, the Lord will allow us to feel His love through specific blessings. Whether these blessings are of greater faith, a stronger testimony of the Savior, strength to endure trials, or in overwhelming and miraculous effects of His mercy, choosing to follow Him will being great rewards.



Melodee Cooper is a Texan by birth, an Aggie by choice, the wife of a fellow Aggie because “he loves her more,” and a mother of three boys by a combination of time, modern science, and divine intervention. She has taught both 5th and 6th grade math and science, and is now able to be a stay-at-home mom, an amateur decorator, a crafter, a blogger, and a holiday enthusiast. She is battling Stage 4 cancer while remaining optimistic and grateful for the blessings in her life.